Peoria and Rock Island Railroad
Please note that the content of this book primarily consists of articles available from Wikipedia or other free sources online. The Peoria and Rock Island Railroad was an railroad of 91-mile (146 km) in length, located in the U.S. state of Illinois. It provided service between the two cities listed in its corporate name. Chartered on March 7, 1867, it was built between 1867 and 1871 and first provided passenger service between these two cities on July 8, 1871. The railroad is best known for being the right-of-way for the 26-mile (42 km) Rock Island Trail State Park, a rail trail conversion.The Peoria and Rock Island (P & RI) was built during the post-American Civil War 1860s, a period of substantial railroad development, especially in the victorious Northern states. Although both Peoria, Illinois and Rock Island, Illinois are located on navigable waterways and enjoyed substantial freight traffic by steamboat, there would be no direct water connnection between the Upper Mississippi River and the Illinois River until the construction of the Hennepin Canal in 1907. The Peoria and Rock Island, for legal purposes, changed its name to the Rock Island and Peoria Railway in October 1877.